Obligations and duties of community president
List of the most important duties of the president of the community
(source and full list:
Circular Number: 88 CA: 59846/21.08.2019).
The responsibilities of the administrative bodies of the communities are described in detail in
article 82 ("Responsibility and oblihations of presidents of communities up to three hundred inhabitants")
Responsibilities of the president of a community of up to three hundred (300) inhabitants
1. The president of the community of up to three hundred (300) inhabitants exercises all the
powers assigned to him by the mayor and participates in the meetings of the municipal council, to which
he must be invited with the right to vote, when the agenda includes a matter concerning him,
especially the respective community.
2. In addition to the provisions in the previous paragraph, the president of a community of up to three hundred (300)
residents, has the following responsibilities:
- a) expresses an opinion and formulates proposals to the municipal council, for the implementation of new projects within the community, as well as for the maintenance and operation of the projects that have been executed,
- b) decides on the distribution of the percentage of the central independent resources allocated to the investment needs of the municipality, in accordance with paragraph 4A of article 259, corresponding to the community,
- c) takes care of the good condition of the community's internal and rural road network, supervising the maintenance work and submitting to the technical service through the respective deputy mayor, a relevant memorandum stating the type of work, the place and time it took place,
- d) takes care of the cleanliness of the common areas and cooperates with the respective department of the municipality for its proper compliance,
- e) takes measures for the immediate restoration of damages of an urgent nature to the water supply and sewerage networks and in exceptional cases assigns the execution of small-scale damage restoration works if the delay in restoration creates an immediate risk to the appropriate water supply of the community, informing the competent deputy mayor or the president of DEYA in writing of the reasons,
- f) ensures the restoration of damages and the good operation of the municipal lighting network and cooperates for this with the respective department of the municipality,
- g) ensures the good condition and safety of playgrounds and cooperates with the municipal playground operator,
- h) ensures the orderly operation, maintenance and orderliness of the community cemetery, pre-authorizes the construction of family tombs and other burial monuments and issues permits for the extension of burials and the collection of bones,
- i) records the means and human resources that can contribute to the response to natural disasters and is in charge of the community fire safety team. For the preparation of the plan for the prevention of fires and other natural disasters, the president cooperates with the respective bodies of the municipality, while during operations to deal with fires or natural disasters, the president is placed at the disposal of the competent authorities,
- j) is responsible for the protection of municipal property within the boundaries of the community and has the duty to report, without delay, to the mayor or the respective deputy mayor damages or infringements of the municipality's property rights,
- k) makes payments from the fixed advance, recommended according to the relevant provisions,
- l) participates in the administration of a legacy, based in the community in which he exercises his duties, in the cases provided for, in accordance with Law 2539/1997 or the act establishing it, the participation of the president of a local council or the mayor of a municipality, the which is repealed by this law,
- m) in cases where the municipality is the competent operating body, in accordance with par. 17 of article 2 and par. 1 of article 26 of Law 4497/2017 (A΄ 171), the president of communities with up to three hundred (300) inhabitants proposes, in terms of the community, the operating areas of the street markets, the places where outdoor standing trade is allowed, the operation of trade fairs, Christmas markets and outdoor commercial activities in general, as well as vehicle parking areas,
- n) promotes volunteerism and cooperates with volunteer groups to serve the needs of the community.
3. The president of the community of up to three hundred (300) inhabitants also formulates an opinion to the municipal council on:
- a) the service units of the municipality, for which there are opportunities for their operation in the community, with the criterion that they will contribute to the better service of the citizens and the development of the area,
- b) the utilization of the municipality's properties, which are located in the community, any form of leasing or concession of land within its limits, as well as the sale, lease, free use concession, exchange and donation of general assets of the municipality located within the community's borders,
- c) the urban development and regeneration of the area,
- d) the maintenance of municipal and rural roads, the maintenance, cleanliness and operation of squares, municipal groves, gardens, outdoor recreation areas and in general all common and public spaces in the community area,
- e) traffic and transportation in the community area,
- f) the protection of the natural and cultural environment, the upgrading of the aesthetics of the area, as well as for their cleanliness,
- g) the protection of public health and the protection of residents from noise pollution,
- h) the collection and, in general, the care for stray animals,
- i) the organization of cultural events and in general the development of the community area in cultural, spiritual and social matters,
- j) care for health, welfare and the provision of social services and care in general, so that the operation and development of the community area aims to better serve its residents,
- k) the orderly operation of municipal institutions, municipal legal entities, educational institutions, municipal enterprises and in general the services provided in the community's periphery,
- l) the modification of the boundaries of the community,
- m) the examination of general or specific problems concerning the inhabitants and the periphery of the community, especially homeless and vulnerable groups of the population of its area,
- n) the utilization of the local resources of the community area.
9. Assembly of community residents
The residents and community bodies are invited under the responsibility of the president or its council, in cooperation with the competent deputy mayor, at least once a year, in an assembly in order to propose to the competent bodies of the municipality the actions that the municipality must undertake, depending on the nature of the needs of the community residents and the priorities for local development, such as: the provision of social or other services to serve the residents of their area, taking measures to protect the elderly and children in the context of the social policy of the municipality, the projects that must be carried out in the community, the provision of services for the tourist exploitation and promotion of the community, the implementation of cultural, recreational and sports programs, any other issue that concerns the community.
Minutes are kept for the above procedure by a municipality employee, which are sent under the responsibility of the president or the community council to the president of the municipal council, for further distribution to his members. To facilitate the process, in communities of more than two thousand (2,000) inhabitants, the assemblies of the inhabitants may also be held by district, parish or other suitable subdivision.